Solar Parks in Gujarat
Recently I had the opportunity to attend the InterSolar India Conference and Exhibition held in December 2011, during the exhibition I there was a stall by the government of Gujarat stating the status of solar energy in the state. Here are the key highlights I found :
The Solar parks are being set up in two phases
Phase 1 :
- Village Charanka, Patan, 500 MW of Solar power generation, 2084 hectare of land ( government and private). Government is providing the wastelands for the park.
Phase 2 :
- 6 villages in Banaskantha. Objective : Solar power generation, R&D, Manufacturing hub and capacity building. Area : 1205 Ha, government wetland.
- ADB extends financial support for Park.
- In advanced stage after taking possession of government wasteland for both parks.
- GETCO has already initiated work to carry out power necessary power evacuation system.
- SSNNL is setting up pipeline from Narmada canal to provide useful water for this project.
- Road and Building Department has constructed a modern 4 lane approach road to the park.
- MNRE to provide CWET weather station at site.
For the phase 1, out of 500 MW, 231 MW have already been allotted in Gujarat to 21 companies with plants ranging from 1 MW to 25 MW. There is an investment of over 10,500 crores. A vocational training section is also being planned in the solar park. They have an MoU with the Clinton foundation.
Tariff : Rs. 15 per unit for 12 years and 5/unit later.